Deakin Crick Ruth (dir.) (2004). A systematic review of the impact of citizenship education on the provision of schooling. London : EPPI-Centre. En ligne : <http://eppi.ioe.ac.uk/cms/Default.aspx?tabid=127>.
Added by: Laure Endrizzi (11 Nov 2008 08:55:05 Europe/Paris) Last edited by: Laure Endrizzi (11 Nov 2008 08:57:03 Europe/Paris)
|Resource type: Report/Documentation
BibTeX citation key: DeakinCrick2004a
Keywords: Ă©ducation civique
Creators: Deakin Crick
Publisher: EPPI-Centre (London)
Views index: 24%
Popularity index: 6%
|URLs http://eppi.ioe.ac ... ult.aspx?tabid=127|
The policy framework for citizenship education identifies three broad educational aims: the moral and social development of students, political literacy and community involvement. The review aims to inform the way in which citizenship education is implemented in schools, particularly in relation to curriculum content, pedagogy, leadership and management, school ethos and community relations.
What did we find?
* The quality of dialogue and discourse is central to learning in citizenship education. Pedagogies need to be: facilitative; conversational; transformative; dialogical; and participatory.
* Teacher-pupil relationships need to be inclusive and respectful. Teachers may need to 'let go of control'. Students should be empowered to voice their views and gain meaning from their life experiences. Opportunities should be made for them to engage with values issues embedded in all curriculum subjects.
* Contextual knowledge can lead to citizenship engagement and action.
* A coherent whole-school strategy, including a community-owned values framework, is key. Participative and democratic processes in school leadership require particular attitudes and skills; schools often restrict participation by students in shaping institutional practices while expecting them to adhere to policies. Strategies for consensual change have to be identified by, and developed in, educational leaders.
* Teachers need support to develop the appropriate professional skills.
(Extraits du rĂ©sumĂ© de l'EPPI)
Added by: Laure Endrizzi Last edited by: Laure Endrizzi